Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"LOST IN TRANSLATION"- A FATHER'S JOY AND AGONY IN THE 2011 NAT'L AGE GROUP TOURNEY


( My daughter Florence Faith playing the white pieces vs. the
daughter of the owner of Blue Jazz Beach Resort located at IGACOS
in a recent tourney held in the said resort)


My two daughters are currently playing at the 2011 National Age Group Tourney hosted by Davao City for the 2nd consecutive time. My eldest, Caissa Jane is playing in the 12 and under category while the other, Florence Faith is playing in the 10 and under. I was not really exepecting the two to make a splash in the tourney as they are not really into serious chess. Last year, they had occasional chess lessons from my good friend Nofre Reyes but it was far and between. If I'm in the mood, I occasionally taught them some basic chess lessons but I have basically lost the patience to personally guide them so they are basically on their own. During the holy week, I had the occasion to sit with them for some chess sessions using the Chessmaster lecture of IM Josh Waidkins as reference. My two kids have contrasting styles. My eldest is more positional while the younger is more of an "atakador". Their play is still crude and may be categorized as a little above the beginners level.


My younger kid Florence Faith started with a win in the 1st round while my eldest, Caissa Jane lost. The following day, Florence was paired against the top player of Davao City to whom she had never beaten in the past. Below is their game that gave me joy and agony.


[Event "2011 Nat'l Age Group"]
[Site "Davao City"]
[Date "2011.4.26"]
[Round "2"]
[White "Florence Faith Guevarra"]
[Black "Lorraine Yngayo"]
[Result "0-1"]
[WhiteELO "?"]
[BlackELO "?"]


1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Nf6 4. Nc3 Bc5 5. O-O d6 6. h3 O-O

7. d3 h6 8. Be3 Bb6 9. d4 exd4 10. Nxd4 Nxd4 11. Bxd4 Ba5

12. Be3? Bxc3 13. bxc3 Nxe4




By a simple combination Florence is already a pawn down. But the
position has a suttle trap that Black must avoid.


14. Bd3!

Tempting black to gore another pawn.


Nxc3 15. Qd2! Nd5 16. Bxh6!



I was never expecting this piece sacrifice from my daughter. This
piece sacrifice brought pride and joy to my heart.


16...gxh6?

Black underestimated the attack that would follow. Better is 16...Qf6
bolstering the defense of his kingside.


17. Qxh6 Nf6 18. Rfe1!



With the threat of 19. Re3 and 20. Rg3 mate. White's position is
already busted.


18...Re8 19. Rxe8+ Nxe8



White to play and mate in four.


20.Qh7+?

Unfortunately for me and for my kid, I forgot to teach her this
simple mating pattern. What is ironic is that I taught my 2 kids
mating patterns that are more complicated than the current position
using the book " How to Beat Your Dad in Chess " by GM Murray
Chandler as reference. The correct sequence is 20. Bh7! Kh8
21. Bg6+ Kg8 22. Qh7+ Kf8 23. Qf7 mate.


20...Kf8 21. Qh6+ Ke7 22. Re1+ Kd7 23. Bf5+ Kc6 24. Be4+ Kd7


Florence is still winning as her opponent's king is stuck in the
middle while her other pieces are immobilized.


25. Bf5+?

25. Qf8! wins the game as the various mating threats can only be
parried with black losing materials.


25... Kc6 26.Qf4? Bxf5! 27. Qf3+?

White should have taken the bishop but in that case advantage would
have shifted to black as white is left with 1 less piece to continue
the attack.


27...d5 28. Qc3+ Kd7 29. Qe5 Be6! 30. c4 Qf6



Black has weathered the storm and is now 2 pieces up. White
resigned a few moves later. My kid was almost in tears narrating
to me the missed opportunity to score an upset. Anyway that is
life like chess, you win some you lose some.
0-1

Replay the game below

No comments:

Post a Comment