Saturday, January 28, 2012

MY MANILA CHESS JOURNEY LAST PART- THE 2012 METROLIROT CUP


( The championship match- coach vic vs. metrolirot )


This is the last part of my Manila Chess journey. To read part IV just click
http://metrolirot.blogspot.com/2012/01/my-manila-chess-journey-part-iv-2012.html



( semi-finals match- sheriff vs. coach vic )

In the other semi-final match, coach Vic made short work of sheriff 2-0 thus the finals cast of the 2012 Metrolirot Cup is completed. Me and coach Vic would be playing a 2 games match at 20 mins/game. Coach Vic is Vicente Vargas III from Cabuyao, a chess coach of Letran Calamba (college) and Caritas Don Bosco School (HS/Elem). He has an NCFP rating of 1874 as compared to my 1835 which I got from joining an NCFP sanctioned tourney 12 years ago. Obviously, Vic Vargas is the favorite in the finals.

Complete semi-finals result:

Semis:
Ricky - metrolirot 1-2
Sheriff - Vic 0-2

We decided to rest for a while and eat supper before the final showdown. After eating we discussed the subject common to our heart, chess and more chess plus a little bit of politics. As it started to get dark, I suggested that we start playing our final match.



( Talking about chess and more chess. From left clockwise: alland, wordfunph, metrolirot, kardopov, shadowleaf, and spawn2. Not in photo were pulsar and pinoymaster77- Not their real names but usernames in chessgames.com)



( The finals match )


In the 1st game I played white and coach Vic used the Sicilian Defense. I countered his Sicilian with the Grand Prix Attack. Prior to the metrolirot cup, I played at the Toril Absolute championships which was a 9 round swiss system and among my preparations there was the grand prix attack. Unfortunately, I was not able to make use of the line in the toril championships but it came handy during the metrolirot cup. Coach Vic was obviously not familiar with the line thus I had an easy win in game 1. I annotated game 1 at the end of this feature.



( Me receiving the champion's prize from Allan Dinglasan )

In game 2, Coach Vic used the h3 line against my KID and after I replied with ...c5 the game transposed into the Modern Benoni defense. I tried to wrest the initiative in the queenside by sacrificing my b pawn thus the game once again transposed into the Benko Gambit line. Coach Vic was able to play a timely Bh6 and after the exchange of dark squared bishops, my game slowly collapsed.



( Coach Vic receiving the runner-up prize from alan dinglasan)


A 3rd and final game is in order and after a choice of colors, Coach Vic played white. This time around I used the Dutch Defense Leningrad variation which is akin to the KID. THe game was nip and tuck and during our mutual time trouble, I was able to concoct a mating attack which coach Vic was not able to parry. I won game 3 and thus was declared the 2012 Metrolirot Cup champion. Thus ended my Manila Chess journey. Special thanks to atty. Nanobrain, Atty. Roy Hirang, epistle, pulsar sheriff, spawn2, kardopov, shadowleaf, ricky, coach vic, pinoymaster77, wordfunph and venue host allan dinglasan for making my journey fruitful and memorable. Hanggang sa uulitin!



( Chief organizers of the 2012 Metrolirot Cup- Allan Dinglasan and wordfunph )

[Event "2012 Metrolirot Cup"]
[Site "BiƱan, Laguna"]
[Date "2012.1.22"]
[Round "1"]
[White "metrolirot"]
[Black "coach vic"]
[Result "1-0"]
[WhiteELO "1835"]
[BlackELO "1874"]

Sicilian Defense - Grand Prix Attack

1. e4 c5 2. Nc3 a6 3. a4 Nc6 4. f4 d6 5. Nf3 g6 6. Bc4 Bg7

7. O-O e6 8. f5!



The start of the grand prix attack. Coach Vic blurted, " Too agressive."
and played 8...exf5. I think he was not familiar with the line.

8...exf5 9. d3!



At present, many Sicilian players sidestep this line because for just
a pawn white is able to establish a dangerous initiative in the kingside.

9...h6 10. Qe1 Nd4 11. Nxd4 Bxd4+ 12. Kh1 Ne7 13. exf5 Bxf5
14. Qh4 Nc6?



14...d5! 15. Ba2 g5 16. Qg3 Be6 with slight advantage for black
according to Houdini.

15. Qg3 Ne5 16. Bd5 Qd7 17. Ne4 Bxe4 18. dxe4 c4 19. c3 Bb6 20. Bf4!



With simple developing moves, white has now established an
overwhelming advantage. Black has no way of defending his d6
and f7 pawns.

20... Nd3 21. Bxd6 Nf2+ 22. Rxf2 Bxf2 23. Qe5+!

Not 23. Qxf2 because of 23...Qxd6

23...Kd8 24. Qxh8+ Qe8 25. Qf6+


Final position

Black resigns. 1-0
Replay the game below.

No comments:

Post a Comment