Tuesday, January 24, 2012

MY MANILA CHESS JOURNEY PART III- THE ROUND ROBIN AT THE COFFEE BEAN AND TEA LEAF, SM MEGAMALL

This is a continuation of my Manila Chess journey. To read part II just click http://metrolirot.blogspot.com/2012/01/my-manila-chess-journey-part-ii-sm.html


After the conclusion of my match with pulsar, Atty. nanobrain suggested that we transfer venue in order to play unlimited chess. Pulsar bade us goodbye as he went back to work while the five of us composed of Atty. nanobrain, Atty. Roy Hirang, the Sheriff, Epistle and myself went downstairs. After a short search we settled down at The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, 3rd floor SM Megamall. We occupied two tables and ordered brewed coffee and cookies compliments of atty. nanobrain. Afterwards the round robin begun. Having beaten pulsar the BW champ, I thought i could easily handle the rest of the group but as the games progressed, the opposite happened.



( From left: Atty. Roy Hirang, Atty. Nanobrain, Sheriff and me at the Coffee Bean Coffee Shop, 3rd floor SM Megamall )


1st game -metrolirot vs. the sheriff
result: 0-1

I played white against the sheriff. He employed the Sicilian Defense against my e4 opening and i countered with the grand prix attack. I got some advantage in the opening but over pressed. I used my queen to penetrate his position but later on my queen was trapped in the queenside resulting to my resignation.



( Atty. nanobrain vs. metrolirot)


2nd game - atty. nanobrain vs. metrolirot
result: 1-0

I was able to used my Sicilian Defense against nano's e4. The game
went 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4. Bc4!? Nc6 5.O-O Nf6 6.Re1. I was
able to fianchetto my black bishop and adopted a sicilian dragon
formation. Aty. nano slowly built-up his forces and soon i was on the
defensive. I was forced to sacrificed my rook for white's bishop and
pawn to eased the pressure. At this point, I thought i had already
equalized. Although quality down, I had two bishops and a couple of
central pawns. However, nano pressed on with his attack and a timely
knight sac at f7 ended our game in his favor.



( Atty. nanobrain, myself, epistle, and sheriff )


I paused for a while and consumed my coffee and cookies. The round robin is turning out to be a disaster for me. Next in line was epistle. I played a fine attacking game against epistle's Alekhine defense and scored my only win in the round robin. Atty. Roy Hirang was my last opponent. He employed the exchange variation vs. my King's Indian Defense. Soon pieces were exchanged and we went into an opposite bishop endgame. I pressed on for whatever small advantage that i may have but the game soon ended in a draw.



( Atty. Roy Hirang, myself, sheriff and epistle )


To summarized the friendlies at the SM Megamall, I was in high heaven after beating pulsar in our match but was brought back to earth after the result of the round robin with the rest of the group. Below is my only win in the round robin.

[Event "BW/GETS Round Robin"]
[Site "Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, 3rd floor SM Megamall"]
[Date "2012.1.20"]
[Round "3rd"]
[White "metrolirot"]
[Black "epistle"]
[Result "1-0"]

Alekhine's Defense

1. e4 Nf6 2. e5 Nd5 3. Nc3 c6 4. Bc4 e6 5. d4 d6 6. Nf3 Nxc3
7. bxc3 dxe5 8.Nxe5 Be7 9. Qh5 O-O 10. Bd3 h6?

Better is 10...g6 11.Qh6 Nd7 with only a slight advantage for white.





11. Bxh6! gxh6 12. Qxh6 f5 13. g4!




With the eventual opening of the g file, there is no way for Black
to survived White's unslaught.


13...Bf6 14. gxf5 Bg7 15. Rg1 Qf6 16. Rg6 Qe7 17. Ke2 Rf6
18. Rag1 Rxg6 19. Rxg6 Kf8 20. Qh7 exf5 21. Bc4

Final position.


1-0

Replay the game below..

No comments:

Post a Comment